Milan, September 23, 2013. For more than half a millennium, the Duomo has been celebrated the world round as a showcase of unique masterpieces of sculpture and architecture.
In it, artists, craftsmen, men of faith, nobles and commoners, through the work of the Veneranda Fabbrica, have transferred their knowledge and emotions, like a great score by Mozart: always alive, yet always the same as itself, always ancient and always new, making it the most unmistakable and recognizable symbol of the city of Milan.
The fund-raising efforts to sustain the activity of the twelve constructions sites currently working on the Cathedral and allow the symbol of the city hosting the Expo to present itself in all its splendor continues – in the spirit of “Adopt a Spire” – in a new way of supporting the Fabbrica: an auction.
Falck S.p.A., following the refurbishment of its managerial offices, has put up for auction a group of furnishings from various eras, taken from their headquarters in Milan and Sesto S. Giovanni.
All the proceeds will be donated to the Veneranda Fabbrica del Duomo di Milano.
The lots – from 915 to 961 – will be auctioned off on September 25, 2013, starting at 2:30 p.m. in Via Pitteri at “Il Ponte” Auction House.
The highlight of the first group of pieces, designed for the company’s main offices in Corso Matteotti in Milan, is an exquisite wooden cabinet/file case attributable to Mino Fiocchi (1893-1983). It consists of a subdued geometric design refined by simple geometrized moldings, and can be considered an interesting example of how, in decorative art, the need to restore order and the recovery of classic models that united the architects close to the Italian Novecento artistic movement, were transfused.
This group also includes antique furniture, five engravings by Carlo Vitale (1902-1996) and a series of photographic prints illustrating the Falck facilities and the various stages of steel working, as well as more recently made office furniture, some of which designed by Norman Foster (1935) and Hans Von Klier (1934-2000).
Finally, of particular historical interest is the furniture of the Rome office of Enrico Falck, Senator of the Republic in 1948.
These pieces include a cabinet and a meeting table with chairs and armchairs inspired by the lines of furniture crafted according to the Veneto tradition, a style that calls to mind a late-baroque taste that was often embraced throughout the 20th century by the Milanese middle classes and featuring here more essential lines. Another noteworthy piece is an Empire desk belonging to Alberto Falck, a bequest of Riccardo Lampugnani, former chief executive of A.F.L. Falck, which also included paintings by Hayez and part of the collection of sketches donated at this death to the Poldi Pezzoli Museum.
Historical Note regarding Sen. Enrico Falck
Enrico Falck (Laorca 1899 – Milan 1953). First born child of Giorgio Enrico Falck, he received his degree in 1921 at Milan’s Higher School of Agriculture. Once he completed his studies, he took up the management of a number of farms throughout northern Italy and entered the family business in 1926, mostly involved in the administrative and financial sector. In 1946, he succeeded his father Giorgio Enrico as president of Acciaierie Lombarde Falck, but resigned two years later, when he officially began his political career. Member of Catholic Action and driven by anti-Fascist sentiments, he immediately joined the Neo-Guelph Catholic Resistance Movement of Piero Malvestiti which, in September 1942, in the family home of Via Tamburini in Milan, joined forces with the Popular Party of Don Sturzo, thus founding the Christian Democracy.
In January 1945, he was arrested and jailed in Como’s San Donnino prison for having actively supported and financed the Resistance movement. In 1948, he was elected senator for the Christian Democratic Party in the constituency of Lecco. In favor of the idea of a united Europe, he was among the promoters of many European projects, as a deputy-member of the Italian Group at the consultative Assembly of the European Council. He was among the founders of the UCID (Christian Union of Business Executives) and of the Ambrosianeum, while he encouraged and supported the building and work of the Maison d’Italie at the Cité Universitaire in Paris, designed by the architect Piero Portaluppi and inaugurated in 1958.