CANDOGLIA DISEGNO NAVA
...
20 July Jul 2017 1148 5 months ago

The road to Candoglia

From the Fabbrica's "Annals", a deliberation from 23 June, 143 years ago

In the "Annals of the Veneranda Fabbrica del Duomo di Milano" dated 23 June 1874, the following is written:  “[…] To avoid serious damage to most of the blocks of marble which, falling from the top of the quarry, break into many pieces when they reach the bottom of the mountain, and to prevent frequent disputes with the residents of Ganduglia who, rightly so, demand compensation for damages when these fragments enter or come to rest on their property, it has been decided that a road will be constructed from the residential area to the quarry's entrance, for a total length of approximately three kilometres, on which carts pulled by oxen can transport the blocks of marble."

Even though the use of mines in Candoglia was formally forbidden in 1795, the cutting of the blocks of marble and their transport from the quarry to the village was often perilous, presenting considerable difficulties: falls and the rolling of the stones all the way to the first houses of the small village were frequent. With the deliberation that we have presented above, in June of 1874 the Veneranda Fabbrica thus established the need to construct a road which would finally make it possible to transport the marble from the quarry to the village with the use of carts.

Along this road, which has been modernized multiple times while still remaining true to its original function, the Fabbrica continues, to this day, to transport the precious marble for the Duomo from the quarry to the Candoglia workshops: a commitment which knows no rest and which also stays alive through the many accounts preserved among the documents in the archives, a diary of the people that spans nearly seven centuries.